The Bishop's Castle Railway - March 2007

Views of the long abandoned Bishop's Castle Railway in Shropshire - as seen in March 2007.

Much of the line is still traceable and about 4 miles of it from the Craven Arms end is now part of the Onny Trail. Earthworks are visible from the A489 on the north side until Plowden where the line crosses the road and then the River Onny to follow the south bank of the valley. The line joined the Shrewsbury - Newport line at Strefford Junction just to the north of Craven Arms. It closed on 21 April 1935.

The photos trace the line from west to east as far as Plowden, then from the old junction with the main line at Strefford Junction westwards for about ¾ mile.


Total images: 60  |  Last update: 13/03/07 11:17  |  Generated by JAlbum 6.5 & Chameleon skin  |  Help